What do I do as a patient coming for a Sleep Study?
During your sleep study, we will be monitoring your brain wave activity, breathing patterns, leg and muscle activity, ECG heart monitor and blood oxygen level. All monitoring is done on the surface of the skin. There is no discomfort involved. There will be no smoking allowed in the facility.
In order to ensure that we are able to achieve the best possible results, please follow the instructions set out below.
- ARRIVE ON TIME (8:00pm) at the Laboratory
- There is ample FREE PARKING at the back of the building.
- BRING YOUR HEALTH CARD WITH YOU.
- Please be sure your HAIR is clean and free of hair oils or gels, and hair pieces (if applicable).
- Remove NAIL polish.
- BRING pyjamas or a 2 piece sleeping apparel, slippers, personal toiletry items and reading glasses (if needed).
- Dinner will not be served, so have your evening meal before you arrive. DO NOT consume any ALCOHOL.
- Please take your usual MEDICATIONS and bring any that you might need during your visit. Let the technologist know of you have any ALLERGIES to tape adhesives.
- Leave all VALUABLES at home.
- If you are currently on a CPAP device at home, please bring the machine, tubes and mask with you to the test.
- DO NOT CANCEL YOUR TEST. Sleep disorders can be serious. Your doctor requires the results to treat your problems. The tests are costly in time and expertise. This laboratory requires at least 48 hours (2 business days) notice of cancellation or you will be charged $200.00 dollars for a missed appointment.
- The test is fully covered by OHIP.
- Your study will terminate at about 6:00 a.m. and you will be able to be on your way by about 7:00 a.m.
Due to the complexity of the test, it will take at least 3 weeks for the results to reach your doctor. If you have any unanswered questions or need assistance, please call Abby or Shelly @ (905) 566-1010. The technologists can be reached on the night of your study after 8:00 p.m. @ (905) 566-9666.